How to Make Honey Remedies to Help You Fall Asleep, Stay Asleep and Never Wake Up Tired Again
While many ancient traditions include honey remedies as a sleep aid, only recently has sleep science begun to also preach the virtues of the practice.
As Mike McInnes, Scottish pharmacist and researcher, notes, honey aids sleep in three major ways:
- Assists in release of melatonin, the hormone that helps naturally regulate our sleep cycles
- Ensures liver glycogen stores - which helps prevent an early dose of two important stress hormones, cortisol and adrenaline, both of which can wake you prematurely
- Similarly, stabilizes blood sugar levels.
McInnes refers to the process by which this works as the honey-insulin-melatonin cycle, and notes the following steps:
- Honey's glucose moves from the gut into the liver and then into general circulation, resulting in a mild glucose bump.
- The resulting blood sugar elevation prompts a controlled insulin release from the pancreas.
- That insulin then drives tryptophan to the brain.
- Once there, the tryptophan is converted into serotonin, putting the body at ease.
- Serotonin is also converted to melatonin by the pineal gland.
- That melatonin helps activate a regulated sleep cycle, by which it also helps regulate insulin release (keeping blood sugar stable) and promotes the release of growth hormone, necessary for physical recovery to our physiology.
- That growth hormone release results in repair and maintenance to body systems, including bone, muscle, and tissue.
- REM sleep, triggered by the melatonin release, helps consolidate memory, thus backing up short-term memory in the long-term memory centers of the brain cortex.
- Simultaneously, the liver converts some of the honey's glucose into liver glycogen, thus sustaining the brain over the sleep fast.
- Similarly, this sustained glycogen supply keeps the stress hormones - which are frequently responsible for waking us from our sleep - from being released.
As a result, honey makes a fantastic sleep aid - and is regularly recommended as an additive to any nighttime beverage, including warm tea, warm milk, or even warm water.
Healthy Holistic Living offers further tips here.
If you enjoyed this article or learned something new, please don't forget to share it with others so they have a chance to enjoy this free information. This article is open source and free to reblog or use if you give a direct link back to the original article URL. Thanks for taking the time to support an open source initiative. We believe all information should be free and available to everyone. Have a good day and we hope to see you soon!
How to Make Honey Remedies to Help You Fall Asleep, Stay Asleep and Never Wake Up Tired Again Reviewed by matt on 04:29:00 Rating: