Study: nutrient found in red wine is as effective as 1 hour of exercise
Studies have repeatedly shown that moderate red wine consumption seems to lower the risk of several diseases, including heart disease.
In particular, researchers are curious about what they refer to as the "French paradox." This phrase refers to the observation that the French have low rates of heart disease, despite consuming a lot of saturated fat and cholesterol. Some experts believe red wine protects the French population from the harmful effects of those diet choices.
Here are the biggest findings from a recent study examining the French paradox:
- Dietary cholesterol and saturated fat do not cause heart disease when consumed in reasonable amounts. The true reason behind the good health of the French is probably the fact that they eat more whole foods and live overall healthier lifestyles.
- Grapes are rich in antioxidants, and these antioxidants (in red wine) may help prevent heart disease and cancer.
- Plant compounds in red wine have been linked with many health benefits, including reduced inflammation, lower risk of heart disease and cancer, and extended lifespan.
- Drinking small amounts of red wine may reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, cancer, and dementia.
- Drinking too much wine, however, can have numerous ill health-effects.
If you like drinking red wine, there is no need to worry unless if you are exceeding the recommended amount - no more than 1-2 glasses up to 5 days each week. As these totals refer to total alcohol intake, keep in mind that drinking other alcohols in addition to this much red wine would be excessive.
As long as you don’t drink more than 1-2 glasses per day, then it should only be doing you good - you can read more about the study here.
If you enjoyed this article or learned something new, please don't forget to share it with others so they have a chance to enjoy this free information. This article is open source and free to reblog or use if you give a direct link back to the original article URL. Thanks for taking the time to support an open source initiative. We believe all information should be free and available to everyone. Have a good day and we hope to see you soon!
Study: nutrient found in red wine is as effective as 1 hour of exercise Reviewed by matt on 22:57:00 Rating: