11 Toxic Houseplants That Are Dangerous For Your Children And Your Pets!





Decorating your home with houseplants and greenery creates a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere and most of them are perfectly safe. Some plants can truly purify your home and create positive vibes.




With the good comes the bad however. There are some plants which may cause allergic reactions or even affect your or your family’s health.




In order to avoid any negative impacts or health complications for you, your family and your pets, check the following list of plants which may be hazardous in your surroundings:


1.Oleander




As beautiful as it may look, oleander can endanger your safety and the safety of your pets. Oleander’s milky latex can irritate your skin, if you are handling this plant without gloves. It also contains glycosides, a compound which causes symptoms such as shallow breathing, oral irritation, vomiting, irregular heartbeat, congested mucus membranes, sweating, diarrhea, excess salivation, nausea, incoordination and it can also be fatal for you.

However, if you have small children or cat pets, then this plant should be out of reach. If this plant gets in touch with fire, be careful because its smoke is toxic.


2. Crown-of-Thorns




This plant contains toxic compound, diterpene esters which may be hazardous for you and it may cause mouth irritation or stomach irritation followed by further symptoms like stomachache, vomiting, excess salivation, diarrhea or cause swollen eyes or mouth.

This plant may also cause swelling, blisters or redness on your skin, due to its toxic compounds found in the milky latex.


3. Asparagus fern




This beautifully-looking plant is the pets’ worst enemy. It has been proven that both leaves and berries are poisonous, they contain a toxic compound known as sapogenin and if your pet swallows some, it will cause vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea.

In order to avoid your pets to get in touch with this plant, then consider hanging it and collect the berries once they grow.


4. Philodendrons




This plant may not have serious effects on humans, however your pets can suffer from this plant. It contains insoluble crystals of calcium oxalate known as raphites which may be dangerous for you and especially for your pets.

If you get in touch with the plant’s sap, you may experience irritation, swollen tongue and lips as well as feel a burning sensation in the skin. Whereas, pets can have swollen tongue, breathing problems, increased salivation, convulsions, vomiting, difficulty swallowing food and decreased alertness. Keep this plant out of reach, especially if you have pets.


5. Caladium



Its ability to decorate and refresh the place can never be questioned, however you shouldn’t overlook the fact that caladium contains poisonous elements such as insoluble calcium oxalates and asparagine.

If ingested, caladium can cause symptoms such as excessive drooling, irritation of the lips, mouth and tongue, difficulty swallowing, a hoarse voice, diarrhea and vomiting. Other possible symptoms, depending on the amount being ingested, are abnormal swallowing and speaking and in the worst case scenario- coma or death. If you or your pets experience any signs, you should treat the affected areas immediately with lukewarm water.


6. Elephant Ear




Stay away from this plant’s stems and leaves, because they are dangerous for you, your family and your pets due to the presence of toxic elements such as asparagine and oxalic acid. It is a beautifully-looking plant and maybe that’s the reason why so many people overlook the fact that it may be hazardous for your environment.

Possible symptoms from ingesting this plant are swollen mouth, throat or eyes as well as nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Consult a doctor or a vet if you experience these symptoms.


7. Arrowhead Plant




Many people have it and only few of them know about the toxic elements which this plant has, the most poisonous part of this plant is the sap which contains oxalate crystals. You should always wear gloves when handling this plant, because its sap may cause swollen mouth, throat and stomach as well as irritated skin.

Whereas, pets may show symptoms such as vomiting, pawing at the mouth, excessive drooling, swollen mouth and difficulty swallowing. However, if you keep the plant out of reach and collect fallen or older leaves, you should be good to go.


8. Dieffenbachia or Dumb Cane



This plant contains toxic compounds known as asparagine and needle-shaped calcium oxalate crystals found in the cells of the plant which may put in danger your kids and pets. If ingested, it may lead to oral irritation, difficulty breathing and swallowing, swelling, intense numbing and excessive drooling. Keep this plant away from your pets and kids.





9. Peace Lily or Mauna Loa Plant




Another attractive plant which contains toxic elements, hazardous for both humans and pets. It contains alkaloid lycorine which is a toxic element for humans and it may cause the following symptoms: difficulty swallowing, swollen lips, tongue and mouth as well as vomiting, nausea and diarrhea.

It also contains insoluble calcium crystals and if the pet chews or swallows this plant, it may lead to oral pain, vomiting, pawing at the face, foaming and drooling. If you want to decorate your home with this plant, make sure that your kids or pets won’t get near it.


10. Golden Pothos or Devil’s Ivy



This plant is hazardous for your animals in particular. It contains insoluble calcium oxalates and the symptoms from its ingestion are pawing at the face, lack of appetite, vomiting, drooling, foaming as well as swollen lips or tongue.


11. Daffodils




This beautiful plant makes a perfect decoration for your backyard and maybe home. However, its bulbs can be toxic to humans as well as pets. Its bulbs are often mistaken for onions or shallots and if consumed, it may lead to serious stomach problems, irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure and in the worst situations,even death. In order to avoid this, keep your kids and pets away from this plant.


We're not saying that you shouldn’t have these plants in your home - on the contrary, your home is always better when its decorated with a bit of greenery.  Just always be attentive when your kids or dogs and cats want to play around them.


If you enjoyed reading this article and want to see more like this one, we'd be humbled if you would help us spread the word and share it with your friends and family. Join us in our quest to promote free, useful information to all!



11 Toxic Houseplants That Are Dangerous For Your Children And Your Pets! 11 Toxic Houseplants That Are Dangerous For Your Children And Your Pets! Reviewed by Admin on 16:22:00 Rating: 5
Copyright Organic & Healthy 2016. Powered by Blogger.